
China’s foreign ministry said the visa-free entry will apply to travel for tourism, business and visits to family or friends, and the policy will initially remain in force until December 31 this year.
The announcement follows British Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s official visit to China last month, during which he and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed to ease travel arrangements between the two countries.
In a statement issued on Sunday, China’s foreign ministry said the move would further facilitate people-to-people exchanges between China and other countries.
The decision brings the UK and Canada into line with around 50 other countries whose citizens are already eligible for visa-free entry to China, including France, Germany, Italy, Australia and Japan.
According to official figures from the UK, about 620,000 British nationals travelled to China in 2024, meaning hundreds of thousands of travellers could potentially benefit from the new arrangement.
During his January visit, Starmer said UK businesses were seeking greater opportunities to expand their presence in China. The two sides also agreed to deepen cooperation in areas such as services, healthcare, green technology and finance, though no comprehensive free trade agreement was announced.
The visit marked the first trip to China by a British prime minister since Theresa May in 2018, reports UNB.