News update
  • Myanmar: UN chief for urgent access as quake toll mounts     |     
  • AI’s $4.8 tn future: UN warns of widening digital divide      |     
  • Volker Turk warns of increasing risk of atrocity crimes in Gaza     |     
  • Ultimate goal is to join ASEAN as full member, says Dr Yunus      |     
  • South Korea President Yoon Suk Yeol removed from office      |     

Money Invested to Disrupt July-August Mass Killing Trial: ICT Prosecutor

Greenwatch Desk Politics 2025-04-03, 9:19pm

9k12-508375004f265c61fd8638acf4ca9e6c1743693650.jpg




International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) Chief Prosecutor Mohammad Tajul Islam stated on Thursday that significant financial resources are being directed to obstruct the ongoing trial concerning the mass killings and crimes against humanity committed during the July-August movement.


“We have received credible information indicating that a substantial sum of money is being invested by the previous government to derail the trial of those responsible for the mass killings during the July-August period. We have also identified the individuals orchestrating these efforts,” Tajul said in a statement to the media.

However, Tajul refrained from disclosing further details about the origin or specific nature of the investments.

The ICT, which was set up to prosecute war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in 1971, is currently handling cases linked to atrocities during the July-August period. Since the political shift on August 5, 23 cases have been filed. An arrest warrant has been issued for 141 individuals, including the ousted prime minister Sheikh Hasina. Among the accused, 72 are politicians, judges, and civil servants, 62 are police officers, and 9 are retired or dismissed military officers. Nearly 300 allegations have been submitted to the tribunal so far.

Despite the growing number of cases, Tajul highlighted that opposition to the tribunal has intensified, with multiple attempts to disrupt the trial.

The official trial for the July-August mass killings is expected to begin later this month. Meanwhile, the investigation into the case involving six bodies burned after being killed in Ashulia has been completed.